Monday, April 23, 2012

Alexander Keith's Original Cider

Alexander Keith's Original Cider

Bottles: 6x 335ml
Price: $14.00
5.5% Alcohol/Vol
Sugar Content: 5
Available at the LCBO

Can: 473 ml
Price: $2.95
5.5% Alcohol/Vol.
Sugar Content: 6
Available at the LCBO
 
I recently came across Alexander Keith's Original Cider at the LCBO.  I thought I would give it a try as I see people and friends enjoying various Alexander Keith's beer.  I had my choice of purchasing individual cans or a six pack of bottles.  I chose to go with the can option as I wasn't too sure how I would like the taste.  

When I opened the can, my first thought was wow what an overpowering smell of pear.  As I began to pour the cider into the glass, the pear smell turned into a combination of pear and  apple.  Now I was intrigued.  I decided to drink this cider without ice as I wanted to see what it tasted like without the influence of frozen water ( it does say on the can to serve over ice).  The head disappeared quickly, not sure if the picture does it justice, but the colouring is a pale yellow.

With my first sip, I thought it had a salty taste to it.  Drinking slowly, I was trying to figure out what flavour was the most predominate.  I have to admit, the longer you drink this cider, the different flavours appear.  There is a citrus bite to this cider as I was convinced I could taste grape fruit.  I will be honest at the beginning I didn't think I would like this cider as I couldn't get a grip with the taste.  As I continued drinking, the more I began to enjoy it as more of the apple and citrus flavours came through. 

I decided to read the ingredients list to see which "fruits" were used to make this cider.  Let's just say I was shocked.  Cider, water, sucrose, malic acid, natural flavour and sulphites.  Cider....??? Natural flavour....could you be more specific....did you use apples?  I tried looking up the ingredients list on their official web page but nothing.  I always try to confirm if the cider is gluten free. 

Also, I discovered that the cider was made in the USA, by the parent company and imported to Ontario.

Synopsis:  I will be honest and admit this is not one of my favourite ciders.  I have had better...locally and abroad.  Would I drink it again.....yes.  Would it be my first choice....no.   Ultimately, it is up to each individual to decide what they prefer and this reviewer prefers others.  I will try this cider again but over ice and when I do, I will tell you what I thought.

I give this cider 5.2 out of 10.

****Side Note**** - A family member decided to try this cider as I had an extra can in the fridge.  Being the typical guy he drank it straight from the can.  I asked him his opinion and he indicated that it tasted like green apples.  After 5 mins you could still smell the fruit aroma coming from the can. 

Cheers!

1 Comments:

At April 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not surprised by the rating as this is from a large producer, less concerned about the purity of ingredients and properly listing its contents. Stay local!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Tweet