Thursday, May 3, 2012

Crispin Natural Hard Apple Cider - Artisanal Reserve Honey Crisp


ALC/VOL
6.5%
Calories
200
Gluten Free
Carbohydrates
12g
Serving: 650ml
This cider from Crispin Cider Company was the last of the treats that were given to me a month ago.  It was purchased in the USA and is currently not available in Canada.  I was intrigued by the title and the fact that honey was the unique flavour that was added to this cider. 
Before I opened this cider I googled the product to find out more information about the cider and company.  There was no need too as the bottle contained instructions on how to pour this drink.
"Smooth Operator-----Give a full bottoms-up tilt and swirl to disperse unfiltered apple-wine sediment evenly."  So I did as it suggested and this is what happened.
As I poured the cider into the glass, you could see it was a cloudy cider and very little to no head formed. I let the cider sit for a minute to see what would happen to the colour....nothing changed it remained a cloudy dark yellow.
The Smell:  On the pour there was no overpowering smell of apples or honey.  After a few minutes the apple and honey aroma's started to appear but in subtle ways.  There is no dominate aroma to this cider.
The Taste:  My original thought was that maybe this would taste like mead (which by the way I love). With my first sip I thought it was really bland.  No specific taste popped into mind.  Which I thought was strange but then unique.  With most ciders regardless if it is pear or apple there is always one dominate flavour.  With this cider nothing. I didn't know what to think.  So I continued to drink away and occupy my time with reading when it hit.  At first it was the apple....not overpowering but subtle....but where was the honey.  Well they say patience is a virtue and it is.  There it was....a taste of honey (not quoting a song recorded by the Beatles).    So now I stopped doing my tasks I was involved with to concentrate on the taste.  This cider has hints of apple and honey but it isn't overpowering.  You may get it on one sip and not the next.  But this drink is smooth and creamy...a creamsicle for adults.  The complexity is something to behold.
If you are interested in the dietary side of things or want more information on the company and other products they make you can visit their website at www.crispincider.com 
I can confirm this cider is gluten free in fact all the ciders this company produces is gluten free.  So if you are ever in the USA, and you want a treat look for this cider.
Rating:  I will give this cider a rating of 7.9 out of 10.  I enjoyed it and I would have it again.  I would like to try their other brands as I would like to see if they have a dominate flavour as the complexity of this cider just.....no to words to explain.  This is a cider that if a group of people were drinking it all would have a different opinion on the taste.  I can't see myself drinking this during the hot summer months but during those cold winter nights that is a different story. 

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Tweet