Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dukes Dry Apple Cider

Made in: Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
By: Tree Brewing Company

Available:  LCBO in Ontario
Price: $10.95
6 x 355ml cans

5.0% alc./vol



This cider became available at the LCBO at the beginning of May 2012.  I had been waiting for this release from  when my footie and craft beer enthusiast James had sent me the information that it was coming to Ontario.  As soon it was released, my friend picked up a case and gave me a couple to try as she is a cider drinker as well.  I ended up buying a 6 pack myself a couple of days later.  My friend Jo and I ended up trying this cider for the very first time together so we could discuss the taste.

First of all, the serving instructions say to serve over ice.  As I always mention, I like to try it without ice so I can enjoy the natural flavours.  I did have the cider in the fridge so it was nicely chilled.  So here we go with my review:

Pour:  When you first open the can there isn't an overpowering smell of apples.  I poured the cider into a glass and a white head formed but disappeared quickly.  The carbonation (tiny little bubbles) subsides but never disappears.  There is only a slight smell of apples.

Colour:  Golden yellow

Taste:  My friend Jo pointed something out after she had her first sip....she said this cider almost tasted like the ciders over in England.  Jo had her first cider experience last year when she was in the UK. so for her to pick that out was a good call. 

As for me, I found there was a subtle apple flavour..not overpowering.  Let's just say I couldn't tell you or guess what type of apples were used as no distinct flavour stands out.  Now, something unique happened as I was enjoying this drink.  It didn't happen right away but I swear there was a creamy undertone to this cider.  On one of my sips I could taste cream soda (not actual cream soda).  Cream soda leaves a creamy taste on the palate and this happened with my first cider I tried from Dukes.  I asked my friend Jo, so she took another sip, and thought about it and she said yes it had a creamy undertone to it.  It wasn't present with every sip, but every once and while I would get that creamy taste. 

I have had 6 Dukes before I wrote this blog and each time I have had at some point experienced the creamy texture of this cider and I like it.

Rating:  I give this cider a 9.3 out of 10.  This cider is for you if you like a crisp, clean dry finish cider.

Go to www.treebeer.com for further information on Dukes Dry Apple Cider or on twitter @dukescider

Cheers!

Laurie

1 Comments:

At June 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the shout-out. I'm not surprised that Tree also brews great cider, because their beer is fantastic. Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Tweet