Monday, September 17, 2012

Symonds Founders Reserve

I am now back from my vacation to the UK and missing it already.  This will be the first of many postings on the various ciders I sampled.

One of the first ciders I tried was Symonds. I had this cider at the Bear Inn in Oxford.  This cider was on tap so me and my friend Jo each had a pint to enjoy all it's worth.

I tried finding out some information but their website is currently unavailable. This is what I did find out. Symonds Founder’s Reserve 5.5% abv. It is made from Herefordshire cider apples including Dabinett & Michelin varietals.  Based in Stoke Lacy, Herefordshire it was founded in 1727. It remained in family ownership until a takeover in 1984 by another company and then it was sold to Bulmers in 1989 (which is part of the Heineken family).

The Taste:  Symonds has a traditional cider taste, not to sweet with clean crisp finish.  At one point I thought there was a citrus undertone.

Colour:  Golden Yellow

Verdict:  Jo and I thoroughly enjoyed this cider. The fact that it was smooth and that we both enjoyed it even though we have different taste in cider.  We both give this cider 8.5 out of 10.

The Pub:  The Bear Inn was established in 1242 is Oxford's oldest pub.  The pub was small and quaint.  Very low ceilings gave it the cosy feel.  The area by the bar was packed, but we managed to find a table in the area I would call the snug.  On the ceiling and walls were a collection of ties that people have left over the years. This area also had the fire place (not sure if it works) and the garden in the back for those hot summer days and nights.  I have to say the garden was rocking as it was a beautiful sunny day in Oxford.  This is a must stop for a quick pint or for a break as there is plenty to see in Oxford.  The website for the Bear Inn is http://bearoxford.co.uk/

Me and my Symonds
A sample of the ties on the walls and ceiling






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Tweet