Thursday, November 1, 2012

Biddenden Strong Kentish Cider Dry





The Story:  Well after being in England for over a week, my friends and myself decided a day trip to Dover was in order.  It was a beautiful day for September...warm and sunny....yes that's right sunny!  We hoped on the train and a way we went.  We arrived in Dover, and the first place of call (besides the tourist information centre) was Dover Castle. Well, let's just say whoever chose the location way back when picked a great spot.  Perched way up on the top of the cliffs stands this great castle.  There still stands a Roman light house and a church from the 1200's.  Well after huffing and puffing my way up the hill ( by the way, I still had a chest cold when I arrived), and cursing under my breath, we made it.  Spent a great day checking out the church, the Keep and grounds and some of the war time tunnels.  Then we hit the medieval tunnels....built way underground and under the Keep are these tunnels.  I was pumped as history is my favourite subject.  I went down the tunnels with great enthusiasm.....well remember what goes down must come up.  I didn't think I was going to make it out.  Fighting the last strands of a chest cold,walking for hours and being parched was a taking it's toll.  Well, I made it!  Next stop was the cafe.  I was thinking tea, maybe water to quench my thirst.  As I browsed the cooler to see what was available I came across....gold!!!! CIDER! Well I only had one choice.....I bought it to quench the thirst and to rejuvenate myself.



The Cider:  I purchased the cider, poured it into my glass and then decided to read the label....oh oh...8.4% alc. for a 330ml bottle. Well it was going to make walking along the pier interesting.  According to the bottle, it is made from a blend of desert and culinary apples.  The apples were grown in the Garden of England.  My picture doesn't do it justice but, the colour of the cider is very light.  Translucent almost.  With the pour there was no carbonation.  My friend Carol, who is wine drinker, said that it looked like a wine, than a cider.  I am not much a wine drinker, so Carol had a sip and in her opinion it tasted more like wine than a cider.  I have to say, it was very dry and it really had the taste of wine and not at all like cider.  But being said, I would say this was a very sophisticated cider.  If you like the idea of a "mature" cider then this is one to try.  It doesn't have a very strong apple taste or aroma.  My other advice, eat food! 



Rating:  I give this cider 7.9 out of 10 just for the fact it was something unique, but not your average cider to drink everyday.  I would call it my sophistication cider.  Worth to try if you make it over to England (Kent).  I have included their website: http://www.biddendenvineyards.com for further information.


Cheers!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Tweet