Thursday, November 15, 2012

Jack Ratt Scrumpy Cider

Producer:  Lyme Bay Cider Co
6% alc
Website:  http://www.lymebaywinery.co.uk/pages/cider.php



History:  Who was Jack Rattenbury?  Born in 1778, this gentleman was known as Rob Roy of the West. From an early age he started life out on the boats.  After a while this fisherman became a smuggler and became involved in different activities including running a pub.  Jack called it a day in 1844.

The Company:  Lyme Bay Winery not only make wine but they also make ciders and other products.  They use locally grown cider apples to make their various ciders such as Dabinett, Kingston Black and Yarlington Mill, to produce a quality range of real, full flavoured ciders.  Lyme Bay is located in the West Country (Devon).

The Cider:  Jack Ratt Scrumpy cider was named after Jack Rattenbury....how appropriate. As you can tell by my picture, I had purchased the one ltr flagon. I was sharing this cider with my other cider buddy Jo.  We had purchased this while out on one of our day trips.  We brought it back to our room where Carol, Jo and myself realized not a fridge or ice was available.  I attempted to chill it by placing it in the sink filled with cold water but it really didn't help. In the end we just opened it up as our time in England was coming to a close.  We poured the cider and there was no carbonation.  The colour was a unique deep orange/gold/copper combination.  Really hard to describe.  Now with the taste this is where Jo and I differed.  Jo thought it had a smokey taste to it especially the after taste.  As for me, I thought it was unique.  I couldn't really get the smokey after taste, but I did notice that it didn't have a distinct apple taste.   The fact that it wasn't chilled or served over ice, it didn't do it justice.  So far that reason I will not rate this cider as I feel I did not get the full experience.  Note, to one's self.....either make sure you have access to ice or a fridge in the room. What I did gather from their website that it is a still, medium cider so if you ever get to England give it a try.  I will try it again and hopefully chilled or over ice.




Cheers!

Laurie


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Tweet