Saturday, November 17, 2012

1st Quality Cider by Westons

I tried this bevy at a Taylor Walker pub called  The Sussex in Leicester Square.  It was my second last day in England, and my buddies and myself were just walking around enjoying the beautiful city of London.  Stopped in for lunch and of course a pint.  To my surprise and shock I saw the posters for the Taylor Walker Cider Festival that was going to run from September 10-23 featuring 16 festival ciders. Great something I would have loved to participated in and I would be back in Canada.  I asked the server about it and she said that they actually had some of the ciders in stock.  I explained I loved trying different ciders so she went and asked if I would be able to try some as I wouldn't be in the country during the festival.  Sure enough, I was given the opportunity to do so.  Since it was a festival special, I was limited to a half a pint.  No matter, I was going to enjoy this.

Now they had 4 available at that time.  I asked the server (I wish I had gotten her name...I do know she was from Australia) if she had tried any of them.  She had and she described each cider and I asked her recommendation and she chose the 1st Quality for me to try.



The Cider:  I have to admit, I took this info off the card they gave me and from the server.  1st Quality is a well balanced, smooth and fruity in flavour.  It will leave behind a taste of bittersweet apples.  It is a medium still cider with an alcohol content of 5%.  The server said it was best served at room temperature so that is how I received it.

My Opinion:  My half pint arrived after just being poured from the tap and the colouring was very cloudy.  After it settled the colour became more apparent.  It was a deep golden colour. For me it had a nice apple taste and not a strong after bite. I really enjoyed it and it went well with my lunch.  It wasn't heavy and taste...very light.  I would give this cider a 8 out of 10 and the pub and server a 10 out of 10 as she was very friendly and knowledgeable and the pub was packed and lively on a weekday lunch break.  I hope the next time I make it over there, I will be able to try this one again.

Cheers!

Laurie

1 Comments:

At November 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It never hurts to ask, does it? Half pints are better if you're tasting a few as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Tweet